- Great to have you on Pump it up Magazine. Please, introduce yourself?
Hey, great to be here ! I’m Andy Michaels, from Perth, Western Australia, also known as the land Down under. I am Adult Contemporary singer/songwriter along the lines of Cat Stevens(So I have been compared) but with a bit of David Bowie/Pink Floyd influence.
2. Tell us about your new single “Darling it Hurts “? And what’s the story behind it
I’m not sure if I wrote it about me or someone else. I guess the point was we all feel hurt at some point in our lives. Part of our reason for living is to explore our human frailties and weaknesses. And yes, we will be hurt and we also hurt others in our lives.
The burning question for me will always be, “Did I learn from my experience and become a better person?”
3. What makes your music unique? And how would you describe it? (genres/sub-genres)?
I guess from the start its not just been being able to have a nice melody. Heart felt Lyrics that make you think and react are just as important to me. Its interesting that my music has constantly been describes as Eclectic so I don’t fit in a strict Pop or Folk or Country mold. It touches all genres and sub-genres, perhaps with the exception of Rap or Heavy metal.
4. Who are your biggest musical influences?
My Mum loved Cat Stevens and of course that rubbed a bit onto me. His lyrics, Father and Son, Where do the Children play etc were amazingly insightful. Just imagine how bigger Coldplay would be if their lyrics were consistently on the same level as their unbelievable music and Melodies. And any particular artist/band you would like to collaborate with in the future? Train. Anyone that can write songs like Drops of Jupiter are soul mates to me.
5. Which is the best moment in your musical career that you’re most proud of? (awards, projects or public performances etc)
Awards and performances all have their moments but none compare to that of receiving an email out of nowhere from a woman thanking me because listening to my song “Angel” (From Revisited) saved her from taking her own life and gave her inspiration after her daughter was tragically murdered. Although sad, it shows the emotional impact of music can also do good.
6. What advice would you give to aspiring musicians?
Be yourself, don’t conform to anyone else’s rules or expectations. Just like life, its your Gig!
7. If you had one message to give to your fans, what would it be?
Remember Life is about the journey, not the destination. Enjoy it, live it and breathe it !
Heartfelt Thanks for letting me into your lives, whether its listening for one minute, one song or a whole Album.
8. What’s next for you? Any upcoming projects or tours?
I’m in discussions now for an International Tour. I will keep you posted. And let me know where you live so I can come to your city.
To know more about Andy Michaels, please visit: