- Great to have you on Pump it up Magazine. Please, introduce yourself?
Hello pump it up mag… thanks for having me … my name is Slay Mayas … I am a singer / songwriter and bringer of hood vibea thru my music … I’ve been singing since I was 14 .. and I’d describe my sounds as alternative rnb/ contemporary pop soul… I make music about good vibes … positive energy .. manifesting… overall I’d like to call it few good music … because when u hear music from you’ll feel good … and feel the vibes (according to what my fans have been saying)
- How did you get started in the music business?
I got started in the music business by accident!. That’s right !. I had no clue that I was musically inclined until I was about 14. While listening to the radio one day , and singing along , my friend at the time stopped me to tell me how good I sounded … the rest Is history … from that point on I decided that I was going to be a singer.
- Tell us about your new single? And what’s the story behind it
3. My new single it’s my time is very personal to me. It’s my time is about recognizing that it’s your time to be your greatest self , and basking in the joy of knowing that it’s your time to do whatever it is for your own life. It’s kind like a affirmation. For me personally it’s my time to do a lot of things, but I mainly wrote it because I recognize it’s my time to be the superstar i was sent here to be. I don’t know how it’s going to happen, but I’ve had this strong feeling for sometime now, I’m going to make it as a singer. And I feel joy about that.. so I wrote its my time ,which is available now on all streaming platforms . Side bar! I had a single planned to come out before it’s my time. I did video treatment , and all but my spirit was like release it’s my time… I’m glad I did because so many people message me and tell me how it inspires them.. I feel good about that
- What makes your productions unique? And how would you describe it? (genres/sub-genres)?
4. I’d say my production is unique because I’m not trying to be like anyone else. I’m simply just being myself , and doing the music that feels and is authentic to me. I would describe my genre as an eclectic mix of alternative rnb, contemporary, mixed in with some pop soul. I always joke and say there is a gospel singer that lives within me lol. Ultimately I make real music for the soul, and to bring people some good vibes and inspiration.
- Who are your biggest musical influences? And any particular artist/band you would like to collaborate with in the future?
5. When I found I could sing by accident at 14 , I didn’t shut up lol. For some reason, I was immediately drawn to the divas with big voices. Whitney Houston , Mariah Carey , Celine dion, Christina Aguilera to name a few. I honestly believe that was my form of vocal training lol
Some artist I’d love to collab with are silk sonic, Chris brown, Bruno mars , Anderson paak, amber mark, Ariana grande, Beyoncé of course ty dolla signs,Carlos Santana just to name a few. I could go on and on lol
- Which is the best moment in your musical career that you’re most proud of? (awards, projects or public performances etc)
6. I’m most proud of how people/ my fans genuinely like and understand me as an artist. Every message I get about how my music inspires them and that they like what I do is on of the main things I wanted as an indie artist. I have an actual fan base that cares about what I’m doing… how can I not be happy about that .
- What advice would you give to aspiring musicians?
7. Advice I’d give aspiring musicians.. BELIVE IN YOURSELF TO NO END. Learn the Business, and realize no one is here to save you, so save yourself by arming yourself with knowledge and confidence in who u are as an artist
- If you had one message to give to your fans, what would it be?
8. One message I’d like to share with my fans is if life gives you lemons… as long as it doesn’t kill you, make the sweetest lemonade 🍋
- What’s next for you? Any upcoming projects or tours?
9. Next up for me, I will be dropping the music video for my new single it’s my time very very soon. I have a website that’s coming… new music of course in the form of an ep… and whatever else god has in store for me.. I know In my heart I’m ready for the big time, and ready to take my dreams to the skies and beyond .